KAP: Marion Bay, SA, January 2019

Marion Bay, South Australia. 14th January, 2019

Camera facing approximately SW:

South:
North:
north-west:
North:

Looking west:



The winds were perfect, about 15km/h SSW and steady. The kite had all three tails flying and no issue lifting what i reckon is half a kilo of payload.

I used the high power wifi adapter and 5db external antenna and the foot long 10db omnidirectional antenna on the access point. The wifi connection remained up for the whole flight as I watched the signal strength on the access point from my phone, then let out some more line.

A web server script runs on the raspberry pi zero that lets me see the latest shot and control the pan servo. It's clumsy but functional.

The kite was mostly in automode: take 4 photos (2 with the pi camera board v2 and 2 with the Nikon CoolPix A300), turn a bit, and repeat. 

The external camera ran for about 90mins of shooting before the battery died as I'd forgotten to switch in the bigger capacity battery. About 300 metres of line was out - I definitely had some to go. That would put the camera at a height of about 200m

The new line winder makes a massive difference. I was able to wind the kite out of the air.

Todo: add altimeter, compass and tilt control to the kap rig

Comments